Liverpool showed no signs of fatigue from their midweek exertions with a counter-attacking masterclass to dismantle Arsenal in a highly convincing 4-0 Premier League victory at Anfield.
A 6-3 aggregate victory over Hoffenheim, completed on Wednesday, clinched a return to the Champions League but did not appear to take its toll on Liverpool, who were full of energy as they punished a shambolic display from Arsenal.
Arsene Wenger shuffled his back three after last weekend’s dismal 1-0 defeat at Stoke City.
– This was Arsenal’s heaviest Premier League defeat since a 0-4 loss to Southampton at St Mary’s on Boxing Day 2015.
– Four of Arsenal’s eight Premier League defeats by a margin of 4+ goals have come against Liverpool at Anfield.
– Arsenal have lost their first two Premier League away games in a season for only the second time under Arsene Wenger (the other was 2005-06).
– Liverpool have kept four clean sheets in a row at Anfield in the Premier League for the first time since September 2013.
– Arsenal have lost nine of their last 14 Premier League away matches (W4 D1 L9) – their previous nine away defeats in the competition came over a period of 47 games (W25 D13 L9).
– Liverpool’s third goal (Mohamed Salah) came only 12 seconds after Arsenal took a corner.- Arsenal didn’t attempt a single shot on target in this match – the first time they haven’t had one in a Premier League game since October 5th 2014 (vs Chelsea).- Roberto Firmino has scored and assisted in a game on eight occasions since his Premier League debut in August 2015; no player has done so more often than him in this period (Costa & Lukaku also on 8).
– Sadio Mané is only the 3rd player to score in the first 3 PL games of a season for Liverpool (after Robbie Fowler in 1994-95 & Daniel Sturridge in 2013-14).